London, May 8: Around hundreds of opposition fighters and their families have been reportedly evacuated from their last stronghold in the central Syrian city of Homs.
According to the BBC, two convoys of buses have so far left the Old City under a deal brokered by Iran and facilitated by the UN.
The Syrian government and the rebel forces have reached a truce, following which dozens of captives will be released by the latter, and two sieges would be eased.
The move is said to put an end to the three year old rebellion against president Bashar al-Assad.
Residents said that the rebels had set fire to their bases and possessions before heading to the buses.
The damage to buildings in the Old City, particularly those in the Warsha district, is substantial, the report added. (ANI)